Our mechanical engineering experience and services include heating, ventilation, and air conditioning utilizing a variety of engineering solutions, plumbing and drainage, refrigeration, energy modelling, fire protection, and building automatic systems/controls.
These systems are specifically designed for all needs including temperature control, noise requirements, relative humidity, filtration, pressurization, system control and indoor air quality.
Our electrical engineering experience and services include electrical servicing requirements, interior lighting, exterior lighting, building power distribution, fire alarm systems, emergency and exit lighting, and emergency power requirements.
In addition, our services include coordination of specialized systems such as IT requirements, security systems, audio / visual systems, nurse call, and other specialized systems that clients require.
Aquatic Design & Engineering
Aquatic Design & Engineering, a division of DEI & Associates Inc., provides professional design and engineering services for pools, waterparks, natatoriums, and fountains as well as consultation services for existing facilities that need to be updated and renovated to current codes and standards.
Our services include:
• Pool, splash pad, and spa design and consultation, pool deck design, filtration equipment and system design, and pumping systems and design.
• Feasibility studies to assist with determining if pool requires upgrading, features, sizing, etc.
• Consultation services, studies, and reports of existing pools to bring them to current codes and standards.
DEI Consulting Engineers offers a full range of refrigeration consulting services, including refrigeration systems design, tender documentation, computational modelling, feasibility studies, as well as integration between mechanical and refrigeration systems.
DEI Consulting Engineers has provided tender and construction documentation for ammonia refrigeration plants in ice hockey arenas and recreational complexes. DEI has also designed grocery stores’ HFC refrigeration systems. Services include complete design of the refrigeration system, piping layout, and equipment selection.
Building Information Modeling (BIM)
DEI Consulting Engineers works extensively to remain informed of technological advancements in our industry as a measure to bring additional value to our clients as well as remain competitive in the market. In response to the shift within the sector from two-dimensional drafting to three-dimensional modelling, our office developed the ability to work within a building information model environment.
Our office utilizes Revit on all BIM projects and has completed numerous projects to a Level of Development 300 / 350. Our firm and team are continually expanding our extensive library of families to enhance our capabilities in the BIM environment as well as the quality and accuracy of our model. Our staff have extensive experience gained through in-house training seminars, attendance at international seminars, and mentorship from outside consultants.
We believe that BIM ensures efficiency throughout the project team and also helps keep each project on schedule and on budget through interference modelling and weekly BIM coordination.
DEI Consulting Engineers has extensive experience in managing projects as the prime consultant since the inception of the firm. Our firm has worked extensively on numerous projects for municipal, institutional, and educational sectors as the prime consultant, and has managed the contract requirements, sub-consultants and contractors on an extensive list of projects.
Notably, our firm was the prime consultant on the new $3.6 million dollar Kiwanis Park Outdoor Pool renewal which required working with the City of Kitchener, the Grand River Conservation Authority, and Waterloo Region Health Unit to re-build the existing pool and infrastructure. Our successful new design brought the facility up to current health standards, while managing a tight construction schedule and budget.
In addition, DEI Consulting Engineers was the prime consultant and successfully managed each of the following major projects maintaining both construction schedules, budgets, and a variety of sub-consultants and contractors throughout the project: Eastwood Collegiate Institute an $8.6 million, ten phased HVAC Upgrade, a two year phased HVAC Upgrade project at Elmira District Secondary School, a $2.3 million dollar HVAC Upgrade for the Region of Waterloo’s Courthouse, and a $700,000.00 mechanical and electrical upgrade at East Ridge Community School in Owen Sound.
Our firm typically completes over fifteen prime projects per annum with project scopes ranging from boiler replacements, HVAC upgrades, electrical service upgrades, and lighting retrofits. These projects are completed for numerous clients including school boards, condominiums, and private owners.
Prime Services Offered
.Our typical prime services include the following; however, can be defined to include or exclude specific services dependent on the client’s requirements and/or purchasing policies.
- Management and coordination of design phase meetings to develop contract documentation, manage construction budgets, and construction schedules.
- Retention and coordination of sub-consultants including architects, structural engineers, landscape architects, etc.
- Management of the project team to meet deadlines for design reviews, permit submission, tendering.
- Preparation of general requirements specification
- Pre-qualification and evaluation of contractors.
- Coordination and preparation of addenda and clarifications of intent of drawings / specifications with contractors during the tender period.
- Evaluation of tenders, supplementary tenders, and overall submissions including insurance requirements, bonding, health & safety requirements, and WSIB clearance certificates.
- Coordination with local building departments and fire officials.
- Completion of all local municipality / authority having jurisdiction form requirements for all requirements (building permit submissions, etc.).
- Preparation of CCDC contract and management of execution of construction contract.
- Contract administration including shop drawing review, biweekly site reviews with follow-up reports, draw review and payment certificate preparation including release of holdback, ongoing communication as required with contractors, preparation of contemplated change notices and cost review, change notices, change directives, and supplemental instructions.
- Reconciliation of allowances.
- Preparation of substantial certificate.
- Review of maintenance manuals and preparation of record drawings.
- Final deficiency follow-up and general conformance letter.
- Warranty review
DEI Consulting Engineer’s commitment to leading and executing prime projects is delivered by experienced senior associates who have the drive to ensure the owner is provided with energy-efficient design and on budget projects with quality construction and materials.